Nothing refreshes your body and soul after a night of celebrating like a well-crafted Bloody Mary - nutritious as well as delicious! Miami's best Bloody Marys are more than just mix and vodka, of course - from bacon to pickles to grilled shrimp, these delightful drinks can be a meal in a glass.
While the legend of Bloody Mary goes all the way back to the 16th century, the cocktail was actually created in the 1920's by Fernand Petiot, a bartender at Harry's New York Bar in Paris - a frequent hangout for American expats like Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. Traditionally made with a vegetable juice-based mix and high-quality liquor, these tasty beverages provide electrolytes and vitamins as well as refreshment.
The perfect Bloody Mary in Miami can be difficult to find. Here are some bars in Miami that are serving what we consider the best of the best when it comes to this tasty elixir of the gods:
- Lulu in the Grove - Located in the heart of Coconut Grove, Lulu has a super delicious menu and a gorgeously hip outdoor seating area, as well as two stellar specialty Bloody Marys - the Cool n' Spicy and the Wake n' Bacon. Enjoy crisp Effen cucumber vodka with a pepper-infused mix in the Cool n' Spicy, and mellow out with savory bacon vodka and a more relaxed mix in the Wake n' Bacon.
- While you're in the Grove, pop on over to the Green Street Cafe, nestled on the corner of Main Highway and Commodore Plaza. Green Street has been a crowd favorite in the Grove for over 30 years, and the cafe is known for their extensive menu, generous portions, and organic green Bloody Mary mix, made in-house with love.
- Yardbird Southern Table & Bar - Some say that Miami Beach's Yardbird has the absolute best fried chicken in town - you'll need to be the judge of that, but don't be afraid to wash it down with one of their innovative Bloody Marys, served in a cute mason jar with a deliciously crispy bacon garnish. Yardbird's signature Bloody is crafted Southern-style, with bacon-infused bourbon and accompanied by pickled green beans and okra.
- Michael's Genuine Food & Drink - This chic bistro in the Wynwood district is owned by Michael Schwartz, a James Beard Award-winning chef and purveyor of the best of what's fresh and in season. Michael's kimchee Bloody Mary wakes you up with a healthful zing - one of Miami's best Bloody Marys, it's chock-full of healthy probiotics and comes with a rock shrimp garnish.
- Guests at the 27 Restaurant & Bar at the iconic Freehand Miami hotel are in for a real treat! Just one block from the beach, 27 uses only the freshest local ingredients, and their Bloody Mary concoctions vary depending on the season. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and catch their vibrant green version, made with green tomatoes, serrano chiles, and Olmeca Altos tequila.
- Zuma - Nestled on the ground floor of EPIC Residences in downtown Miami, Zuma serves up sophisticated, modern fare in the informal Japanese dining style called Izakaya. Fresh seafood and exotic fruits complement their fantastic umami Marys, created with Zuma's own truffle dashi vodka.
- Edge Steak & Bar - Not your father's steakhouse, Edge is a new, modern take on this American classic. Conveniently located on Brickell Avenue, Edge's weekly Sunday Brunch in Miami features charcuterie, a raw bar, and an entire roast suckling pig, so you just KNOW they are not kidding around when it comes to Bloody Marys. Be sure to say yes to the extra spicy rim, featuring the restaurant's own top-secret spice rub.
- Lure Fishbar South Beach - The bartenders at Lure know what's up - recently winning the Broken Shaker's Bloody Mary in Miami competition with Lure's signature drink made with Grey Goose vodka, and served with a big pickle, juicy plump shrimp, and a deviled egg... and backed with a short Peroni beer. Stop by the next time you're in Miami Beach!
- Barceloneta Miami - More than just a tapas place, Miami Beach's Barceloneta serves up creative Mediterranean dishes crafted from fresh Florida ingredients. Their signature Miami Bloody Mary features artisanal gin, and uses the chef's own delightfully delicious gazpacho recipe instead of some boring mix. Definitely not to be missed!
Related Content: Drink Specials in the Miami area, Happy Hours, and More
Hip new hangouts open every day in Miami - and every day is a new search for Miami's best Bloody Mary. Keep checking 305area.com for even more tips on cool places to snag one of these tasty beverages and to stay on top of nightlife in Miami. Visit these pages for more about your area: Restaurants in Miami and Events in Miami then register above to stay connected. (Photo courtesy of Unsplash)